1. So what happens when you strip all of these elements out of a song?
a. (A) scatter vt. 使散落，撒
Ben made a huge mess when he scattered his toys all over the place.
(B) swirl vt. 使旋轉，打轉
The strong wind swirled the fallen leaves on the ground.
(C) strip vt. 剝奪；剝去
衍: strip sb of sth 剝奪某人的某物
The general stripped the soldiers of their medals after they were arrested.
(D) scratch vt.（用爪子）抓；搔
I was playing with the cat when it scratched my face.
b. 根據語意及用法，(C) 項應為正選。
2. Composed in 1952, the song's title refers to its length: four minutes and 33 seconds.
這首曲子作於 1952 年，名稱指的是歌曲長度：四分三十三秒。
a. (A) refer to... 意指／指的是……
When I made that comment, I was referring to what the professor had said in his last lecture.
(B) abide by... 遵守……
同: comply with...
= conform to...
It is important to abide by all safety rules in the construction zone.
(C) figure out... / figure... out 弄明白……
Toby couldn't figure out the answer, but at least he tried.
(D) top off... / top... off 為……畫下句點
To top off our trip, we went to a fancy restaurant for dinner.
b. 根據語意，(A) 項應為正選。
3. For the song's duration, the performers of "4'33" are instructed not to play a single note on their instruments.
a. (A) destine vt. 命定，注定
衍: destined a.（命中）注定要??的
be destined to V / for N 注定……
Asha is destined to become the next hottest designer in the world.
(B) instruct vt. 教導；指示
衍: instruct sb to V 指示某人做??
Mom instructed me to clean the kitchen after cooking dinner.
(C) establish vt. 建立
同: set up...
Mr. Wang is establishing a charity to help the poor.
(D) disguise vt. 假扮
衍: disguise sb / oneself as... 將某人／自己喬裝成……
Mary disguised herself as a man in order to join the club.
b. 根據語意，(B) 項應為正選。
4. This leaves the audience sitting in a quiet room—and that's when the magic begins.
這讓觀眾坐在安靜的空間裡 ── 而奇妙的事就在此刻發生了。
a. 本題測試 leave 作不完全及物動詞的用法，即 leave 加受詞後，可接現在分詞（表主動概念）或過去分詞（表被動概念）作受詞補語，表「使……處於……（狀態）」：
Anna left Frank waiting in the rain last night.
The traffic accident left us trapped on the highway for a long time.
b. 根據上述及語意，(B) 項應為正選。
5. Some people enjoy the silence, while others become anxious from the lack of noise that they are constantly bombarded by in their everyday lives.
a. (A) versatile a.（物）多用途的；（人）多才多藝的
This makeup kit is so versatile that it is the only one you will ever need.
(B) patriotic a. 愛國的
French people around the world sang La Marseillaise, France's national anthem, with patriotic feeling after the attacks.
＊national anthem 國歌
(C) ethical a. 道德的
Scientists believe that clones could benefit mankind in many ways, though there are still some unresolved ethical problems.
＊clone n. 複製
(D) anxious a. 焦慮的；渴望的
衍: be anxious about... 對……感到焦慮／緊張
Julie is anxious about the interview tomorrow.
b. 根據語意，(D) 項應為正選。
6. Eventually, the background noises of the present moment become the song, making every performance of "4'33" entirely unique.
a. (A) eventually adv. 最後，終於
Amy's constant complaints eventually pushed her husband over the edge.
＊push sb over the edge 把某人逼到絕境
(B) frequently adv. 經常地，頻繁地
Cindy frequently goes hiking in the woods because she loves being outdoors.
(C) obviously adv. 明顯地
The food tastes a bit sour; obviously it has gone bad.
(D) previously adv. 先前
Tina is now a flight attendant, but she previously worked at a language center.
b. 根據語意，(A) 項應為正選。
7. This composition also brought the Zen Buddhist concepts of silence and nothingness, philosophies that Cage was deeply interested in, to the classical music stage.
這首曲子也將凱吉深感興趣的哲學 ── 禪宗對於無聲和空的概念 ── 融入古典音樂。
a. (A) disturbance n. 干擾
Phone calls in the middle of a movie can be a great disturbance.
(B) vengeance n. 報復，報仇
Heaven's vengeance is slow but sure.
(C) philosophy n. 哲學；人生觀
Dan's negative philosophy towards life is one of the reasons he's alone.
(D) conspiracy n. 陰謀
It has recently come to light that an official was implicated in the conspiracy.
＊be implicated in... 與……有牽連
b. 根據語意，(C) 項應為正選。