1. descendant n. 後代，後裔
• It was not until Scott researched his family tree that he realized he was a descendant of Napoleon.
2. adjust vt. 調節，調整
• You can adjust your sitting position with this cushion.
3. digest vt. 消化
• You’d better rest and digest your food you just ate before exercising.
4. nutrient n. 養分，營養物
• Protein is a nutrient that is vital to good health.
5. prey n. 獵物（集合名詞，不可數）
• A huge eagle glided over the area, looking for prey.
6. average a. 普通的；中等的
• The superstar looked like an average person when I saw him out running.
7. tendency n. 傾向；趨勢
have a tendency to V 有……的傾向
• James seems to have a tendency to persuade people in conversation.
8. guilty a. 內疚的；有罪的
feel guilty about... 因……感到不好意思／抱歉
• I felt guilty about causing you so much trouble.
9. activate vt. 使活動／活化
• The smoke from the burning pot activated the fire alarm.
10. consume vt. 吃；喝（正式用法）
• My kids consume at least three liters of milk every week.
11. expression n. 用語；表達
• My grandmother knew many funny old expressions in Taiwanese.
12. insincere a. 虛偽的，不誠懇的
sincere a. 誠懇的，誠摯的
• We could tell from Kelly’s insincere smile that she wasn’t happy to see us.
• Melvin was sincere in his apology, so his mom forgave him.