1. extend vi. & vt. 延伸；延長
• The game was extended five minutes because it was tied at the end of regular play.
2. predator n. 掠食者，捕食者
• Large cats such as lions and tigers are fierce predators.
3. differentiate vt. 使有差異 & vt. & vi. 區別
differentiate A from B 區分 A 與 B
= differentiate between A and B
• Most people can't differentiate this kind of frog from others because they are so much alike.
4. scent n. 氣味，香味
• The shampoo has a light scent of herbal extracts.
5. navigate vt. & vi. 導航，指引方向
• The captain navigated the ship through the rough waters during the storm.
6. literally adv. 確實，的確
• The whole village was literally destroyed by the mudslide.
7. plug vt. 把……塞住，填塞
• The holes in the wall were plugged with cement days before the wall was painted.
＊cement n. 水泥
8. slam vt. 猛力撞擊／推擠
• The manager was very angry and slammed the door shut.
9. crush vt. 壓碎
• We brought the wheat to the mill to be crushed into flour.
10. encounter vt. 遇到
• Chances are that we may encounter many setbacks in the process of learning.
11. trait n. 特徵，特性，特點
• Josh's most amazing trait is his endless energy.
12. characterize vt.
• Would you characterize John as a considerate person?
13. peculiarly adv. 獨特地，不尋常地
• Nina has been behaving peculiarly tonight.
14. sociable a. 喜愛交際／社交的
• Amy is one of the most sociable people I know.
15. trek vi. 跋涉，徒步長途行走
三態為：trek, trekked, trekked。
• It took the mountain-climbing team two days to trek across the forest.