1. While there are many versions of the story, in one common telling, Narcissus is an incredibly handsome young man.
a. (A) version n. 版本
Nick thought the film version of the famous musical was fantastic.
(B) receipt n. 收據（本字的 p 不發音）
To keep track of how much she spends each month, Diane saves all her purchase receipts.
(C) bargain n. 廉價（品）& vi. 討價還價
衍: bargain with sb 和某人討價還價
I got a great bargain on a guitar previously owned by a famous musician.
Emily loves to bargain with vendors when she shops at night markets.
(D) spectacle n. 奇觀
衍: make a spectacle / fool of oneself 出洋相
John got drunk and made a spectacle of himself at the party.
b. 根據語意，(A) 項應為正選。
2. All sorts of women fall in love with him, including magical beings and goddesses, but he turns them all away.
turn sb away 拒絕某人
The insurance company has promised not to turn its existing customers away.
b. 根據上述用法，(C) 項應為正選。
3. Finally, he sees his own reflection in a lake and falls in love with it.
a. (A) suspension n. 停職；中止
The boxer received a 10-month suspension for taking steroids.
＊steroid n. 類固醇
(B) reflection n. 倒影，映像
Mulan wondered if her reflection in the water would show who she really was.
(C) objection n. 反對
衍: raise objections to sth 對某事物提出反對
A couple of people raised objections to the proposal.
(D) assumption n. 假設
We too often make assumptions about others based on previous experiences.
b. 根據語意，(B) 項應為正選。
4. He eventually falls into the lake and drowns, and at the site of his death, the first narcissus flower blooms.
a. (A) otherwise adv. 否則，不然
Please take these cookies home with you. Otherwise, I'll just throw them away.
(B) likewise adv. 同樣地
Jill plans to attend that university. Likewise, her brother will apply there next year.
(C) eventually adv. 最後，終於
同: finally adv.
Amy's constant complaints eventually pushed her husband over the edge.
＊push sb over the edge 把某人逼到忍無可忍
(D) occasionally adv. 偶爾
My parents occasionally take the whole family out to a fancy restaurant.
b. 根據語意，(C) 項應為正選。
5. Being part of spring, the narcissus is a symbol of life and rebirth, and it's featured in many festivals.
a. (A) symbol n. 象徵
Sunflowers are one of nature's most distinctive symbols of warmth, happiness, and vitality.
＊vitality n. 活力
(B) warning n. 警告
衍: issue a warning (+ that 子句) 發布一則警報（??）
The Health Bureau issued a warning that the groundwater around here might not be safe to drink.
(C) diversion n. 消遣；分散注意力的事物
The dog Tom brought in created a diversion for everyone in the office.
(D) figurine n. 公仔；小塑像
The artist's later work included the design of glass figurines and vases.
b. 根據語意，(A) 項應為正選。
6. In Austria, there is a festival devoted entirely to the narcissus called Narzissenfest.
在奧地利，有一個完全屬於水仙花的慶典 ── 水仙花節。
In Austria, there is a festival which is devoted entirely to the narcissus called Narzissenfest.
b. 此處省略關係代名詞 which，其後的 be 動詞 is 變為現在分詞 being 後可省略，省略後即成本句。
c. 根據上述，(D) 項應為正選。
d. be devoted to N/V-ing 奉獻於……
同: be dedicated to N/V-ing
The wedding photographer is devoted to capturing the best moments for her clients.
7. People come from around the country and all over the world to witness the blooming of the star-shaped narcissus from the middle of May until early June.
a. (A) eliminate vt. 消弭，剔除
We used pesticides in the hopes of eliminating all the roaches from the kitchen.
＊pesticide n. 殺蟲劑
(B) dominate vt. 主導，支配
Domestic issues, such as taxes and health care, dominated the election.
(C) notify vt. 通知
衍: notify sb of / about sth 通知某人某事
= inform sb of / about sth
The doctor notified us of our father's condition shortly after surgery.
(D) witness vt. 親眼看見；目擊（罪行或事故）
Gina had to appear in court because she witnessed a crime.
b. 根據語意，(D) 項應為正選。